Sermons of C. F. W. Walther
and Sacred Meditations of Johann Gerhard
(Translated by E. Myers)
- The Heavenly Minded Christian in His Earthly Calling.
Luke 5:1-11. 5th Sunday after Trinity, 1865.
- The Restoration of the Divine Image Through Christ.
Mark 7:31-37. 12th Sunday after Trinity, 1846.
- The Daily Renewing of the Christian in the Image of God.
Ephesians 4:22-28. 19th Sunday after Trinity, 1841.
- Man's Working Together With God After Conversion.
II Corinthians 6:1-10. 1st Sunday in Lent, 1855.
- The Folly of Those Who Serve God But Do Not Want to Serve Him Alone.
Matthew 6:24-34. 15th Sunday after Trinity, 1850.
- The Disastrous Results of Despising God's Law.
Matthew 22:34-46. 18th Sunday after Trinity, 1844.
- How We Must Receive God's Word to Be Saved.
Luke 8:4-15. Sexagesima Sunday, 1845.
- Hearers But Not Doers of the Word Deceive Themselves.
James 1:22-27. 5th Sunday after Easter, 1849.
- The Attitude of Most Men Toward God's Invitation to His Heavenly Marriage.
Matthew 22:1-14. 20th Sunday after Trinity, 1846.
- Three signs of Having the True Faith.
I Corinthians 15:1-10. 11th Sunday after Trinity, 1841.
- The Love Toward God.
I John 4:15-21. 1st Sunday after Trinity, 1841.
- God's Wrath on the Children of Disobedience After Christ's Reconcilation.
Ephesians 5:1-9. 3rd Sunday in Lent, 1869.
(Translated by Rev. Donald E. Heck)
Johann Gerhard's Sacred Meditations:
(Translated by C.W. Heisler, A.M.)
- Meditation 1, True Confession of Sin.
An Acknowledgment of a Fault Heals It.
- Meditation 2, An Exercise of Repentance From our Lord's Passion.
Behold the Suffering Christ!
- Meditation 3, The Benefits of True Repentance.
ďRepent: for the Kingdom of Heaven is at hand,Ē says Christ.
- Meditation 4, The Name of Jesus.
What can be sweeter than the Name of Jesus!
- Meditation 5, An Exercise of Faith From the Love of Christ in the Agony of Death.
To me the Grace of Jesus is of Infinite Value.
- Meditation 6, Consolation for the Penitent Soul, From the Passion of Christ.
The Cross of Christ is our Crown.
- Meditation 7, The Fruit of our Lord's Passion.
The Passion of Christ is my hope.
- Meditation 8, The Certainty of our Salvation.
A Good Hope cannot be Confounded.
- Meditation 9, Loving God Alone.
May Love Bind Thee Fast to the Lord.
- Meditation 10, Our Reconciliation with God.
Christ Hath Paid my Debt of Sin.
- Meditation 11, The Satisfaction for our sins.
The Death of Christ is the Life of the Godly.
- Meditation 12, True Faith -- its Nature and Properties.
True Faith is Living and Victorious.
- Meditation 13, The Spiritual Marriage of the Soul with Christ.
Christ is the Spouse of the Soul.
- Meditation 14, The Mystery of the Incarnation.
Christís Cradle glows with a Heavenly Light.
- Meditation 15, The Saving Benefits of Christ's Incarnation.
Let us be deeply grateful for the Redemption that is in Christ Jesus.
- Meditation 16, The Spiritual Refreshment of the Godly.
What is God to the soul? He is its Light, its Healing Balm, its Bread of Life.
- Meditation 17, The Benefits of Baptism.
Baptism is a Holy Washing.
- Meditation 18, The Saving Communion of the Body and Blood of Christ.
The Flesh of Christ is Life to the Soul.
- Meditation 19, The Mystery of the Lord's Supper.
To Stand in Wonder Before it, not to Pry into it, is Truest Wisdom.
- Meditation 20, A Serious Preparation for the Holy Supper.
Be thou a worthy guest of Christ in His Holy Supper.
- Meditation 21, The Ascension of Christ.
To Ascend with Christ is our Blessed Privilege.
- Meditation 22, The Holy Spirit.
God seals His elect with His Holy Spirit.
- Meditation 23, The Dignity of the Church.
The Church is Christís Bride.
- Meditation 24, Predestination.
We are Chosen in Christ.
- Meditation 25, The Saving Efficacy of Prayer.
Our Sighs Pierce the Heavens.
- Meditation 26, The Guardianship of Angels.
Saints have their guardian angels.
- Meditation 27, The Wiles of the Devil.
Who knoweth the cunning of a demon?
- Meditation 28, General Rules for a Godly Life
A Godly Life is the Wisest Life.
- Meditation 29, False Security.
False security is death.
- Meditation 30, The Imitation of Christ.
Let Christ be the Rule of thy Life.
- Meditation 31, Self-denial.
Self-indulgence is Denial of Christ.
- Meditation 32, True Peace of Soul.
The Mind that Rests in the Lord is at Peace.
- Meditation 33, Purity of Conscience.
A Conscience void of offence is light to the Soul.
- Meditation 34, The Cultivation of True Humility.
What is Man? What is a Bubble? They are alike Nothing.
- Meditation 35, Avoiding Avarice.
Who is a Really Poor Man? The Avaricious Man.
- Meditation 36, True Charity.
Love is the Seal of the Saint!
- Meditation 37, Chastity.
Christís Mind is the Abode of Purity.
- Meditation 38, The Transitoriness of Life.
What is Human Life?
- Meditation 39, The Vanity of the World.
The Eternal Transcends the Temporal.
- Meditation 40, The Advantages of Temptations.
The Palm Tree Grows Upward in Spite of Weights and Hindrances.
- Meditation 41, The Principles of Christian Patience.
Patience will triumph at last.
- Meditation 42, Perseverance in Overcoming Temptation.
A hope fixed in God will never fail us.
- Meditation 43, The Daily Consideration of Death.
To Meditate upon Death is Life.
- Meditation 44, Consolation in the Death of Friends.
To Die is Gain.
- Meditation 45, The Last Judgment.
Regard with wholesome fear the tribunal of Christ.
- Meditation 46, The Desire for Eternal Life.
Always Look Upward, O My Soul.
- Meditation 47, The Beatific Vision of God in Heaven.
Heaven is our Fatherland.
- Meditation 48, The Blessed Companionship of Angels in Heaven.
Heaven is our Home!
- Meditation 49, The Severity of Future Punishment.
Ever keep in mind the torments of hell!
- Meditation 50, The Eternity of Future Punishment.
The Punishment of Sin is Eternal.
- Meditation 51, The Spiritual Resurrection of the Godly.
To arise with Christ is Life.